In this guide:
If you are tech-savvy, a payroll pro or tend to work with and manipulate payroll reports frequently, this is for you. Learning how to design your own custom reports means you won't be limited to the standard reports available:
- No need to call or email to request an advanced report
- Extract exactly the information you need as soon as you need it
- Reports are flexible and can be exported to excel as well
- Reports can be built from scratch or customized from an existing template
- Save your design as your own template for later use; just change your parameters and you've got all the info you need
- Not finding the column you need? Want to create a new kind of column? We can help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Create a Report
To create a report:
- Go to Brand's PP Imports Tool and click the Reporting button.1
Note: This feature is available now in the PP Imports Tool and will soon be available on the web.
- Select the type of report you want to create.
- Within each category, you can either select Blank Report and create a report from scratch or select a pre-designed report and add or remove columns.
Note: Every report you design can be saved for later use and updated with new parameters.
- Click the dropdown to search and select the company number.
- The Report Filter filter box will appear. Choose a payroll date, a date range of check dates, or the payroll period end range.
- Select and add columns using the column menu. Either click on the arrow next to each column on the list or hover over it and drag it into the report body.
To select all the columns of a category, click the green arrow next to the column category header and all columns will be displayed in the report.
To make it even more convenient to choose a column, there is a search bar right on top of the column menu. Start typing the column you want to add and it will filter the options for your search.
- Click the Run Report button at the top of the screen. If you want the report to auto refresh when adding a column, click Auto Refresh.
Customize Report Views
There are many ways to manipulate report columns to show you the advanced information you need. These are standard functions familiar to you if you're used to playing with data. If it is not in your skill set, we'll be happy to prepare the reports for you. Email email@example.com at any time.
Here are a few options:
To view column totals:
- Go to the bottom of the report and right-click under the desired column.
- Select a column function to display.
Rename a Column
To rename a column:
- Click the center of the column header.
- Enter the name in the Custom Column Caption field.
Column Sorting Options
For additional column sorting options:
- Right-click the center of the column header.
- Select sorting options from the options window.
For more info about these options, see Examples of Using the Filter Editor.
Add a Column Filter
To add a column filter:
- Hover over the top right corner of the column.
- Click the small funnel icon.
- Select your desired filter.
Add a Report Filter
To add a report filter:
- Click Report Filter.
- Select Advanced Filter.
- Choose a filter that will format the report.
- Click Apply Filters when done.
Deduction and PayCode Filter:
See it in action:
Add a Custom Column
If you don't see a column that has the data you're looking for, you can create a custom column using the information available in the existing ones.
For example, if you want to give bonuses to employees for all hourly employees, you can create a column with an IF function indicating whether a person is eligible or not (Yes or No).
To create a custom column:
- Select Add Custom Column at the top right.
- Select Column from the lower left panel and click on the first column that you want to pull data from.
- Select Functions or Operators from the lower left panel. Click here for descriptions of what each one does. If it's invalid, it will turn red and indicate why in the box below the expression window. When you're done, press OK.
- Name the column.
In the example below, we want a total number of all possible federal taxes (Fica), so we'll create a column made of OASDI, Medicare and Federal numbers combined into one:
- Select Add Custom Column at the top right.
- Select Column from the lower left panel. In the middle panel, select EE OASDI.
- Select Operators from the lower left panel. Click + from the middle panel.
- Select Column again and select the next column you want to add - in this case EE Med. Do this until you have all the relevant data. When you're done, press OK.
- Name the column EE Fica.
Save or Email a Report
What to do with your custom reports? You've got several options:
Save as New Layout
If this is a report that you will need in the future, why waste time creating it again?
Save the layout and run it at a later date when you need it.
- Simply click Save As New Layout at the top of the screen.
- You can name the report so you can identify it later. In addition, you write a brief description of its purpose and contents.
- Click Ok.
Export to Excel
To export the report to Excel:
- Click the Export Data button.
- All info will be opened in Excel.
To email the report:
- Click Email Report to open an email screen with the report already attached.
- Add the email address.
- Click Send.